Saturday, October 1, 2011

Day 1

So it's 10:45pm and Tom and I are both a little tired but I wasn't about to fail my mission on the first day.  I said at the beginning that I wasn't sure what I would write about, but here goes. 

I have to say, one of the things I've enjoyed the most since having Tera, is how much joy she brings to the people around her.  Now, I will preface this by saying that she is the first child, grandchild, and niece to everyone in our family so it's hard to say whether the joy she brings is because she is the only baby around right now, or if it's because of her incredible personality and disposition, or both.  Or it could be that she is incredibly adorable and you can't help but smile when you look at her.  But I'm biased and digress...

In the last 7 months, anytime anyone in our family has been stressed or worried or in a difficult situation, Tera seems to be able to show the positive side of life.  I don't want to feed a stereotype that all children with DS are easy going and happy all the time, but in her case, it's really kind of true.  Now, she's not happy all the time, but in general, if her basic needs are being met she's pretty much content.  She is absolutely adored by her grandparents and aunts and uncles and part of me wants to believe it's that as hard as her diagnosis was at the beginning, you look at her now and you can't help but think, she might just be okay. 

Both of our families have gone through a lot since her birth; both because of her and other circumstances and I know that spending time with her puts everyone at ease.  I know that I can personally attest to the fact that at 7 months old, I'm already so proud of her.  I know how hard she has to work to do certain things because I see the determination and energy she puts into everything.  But I also know that she knows how incredibly loved she is and truly believe that love is what drives her.  She knows that no matter what, mommy and daddy, and Yia Yia and Papou, and Nani and Pappi, and Grandpa, and AC and Unkie Jojee, and Aunt Binz, and Auntie G, and Uncle Mike and Auntie Cathy, and Uncle Timmy and Auntie Katie and a whole bunch of other people are there to cheer her on and be there to support her in her every endeavor. 

I feel like I've rambled a bit, but basically, on this first day of Down Syndrome Awareness, I feel like our little stink has brought an awareness to everyone that knows her that life is important and to enjoy it; because she definitely does and my job is to make sure that she does every day for the rest of her life. 

1 comment:

  1. And the first great-grandchild too! I believe it's her personality that draws everyone in. The look of intensity on her face is awesome. She takes everything in. Her awareness is beyond compare.

    Yep, she's adorable.

    ReplyDelete