Thursday, October 13, 2011

Day 13

Yesteray I happened to mention feeling completely overwhelmed.  Just to be clear, that hasn't changed yet.  However, I was able to spend what I consider quality time with Tera tonight and what power that little girl has over me.

She had speech therapy this afternoon so I had to kind of race to pick her up from school, get her home and give her some of the bottle she missed this afternoon to tide her over through therapy.  She's only seen her ST a few times so far but almost everytime she's been uncharacteristically quiet and today was pretty much the same thing.  In fact, last time, she made almost no sounds and so just to show the therapist what she is in fact capable of, I had to video her making sounds and then email it to her therapist.  She of course made tons of noises yesterday when she had physical therapy, but then today she decided to show her ST how she could roll over.  Perhaps we need to have a conversation with her and explain which skills each therapist would like to see.

Either way, she did well and after feeding her, and eating dinner ourselves she actually seemed to have enough energy to play for a while.  This is not a normal occurence because most of the time she's completey wiped out after a whole day playing at school and then a therapy session.  We've been working for the last several weeks to get her to roll from her tummy to her back and while I know she's done it a few times at home (she starts on her tummy, I look away, look back and she's on her back) and at school where she repeatedly rolls, I've really only witnessed it once, maybe twice. 

Tonight I started out propping her up in her boppy pillow for some support and she played for a while but was able to pull herself up when she started leaning back so I was happy with that.  Then she started getting antsy so we moved to the floor where she decided she was finally going to bless me with an exhibition of her new skills.  She saw a plastic ring that she wanted and rolled over to get it.  Then rolled over again.  And again.  And again! She apparently decided she is ready to roll in both directions and front to back and back to front!

One of the things I've been completely amazed by with her, and I know this is common with most babies, is how fast and how frequently she starts using a new skill once she's able to master it.  Prior to today she's been able to roll all the way over, but hasn't done it anywhere near regularly.  In fact, it was probably still somewhat accidental.  But now that she knows what she can do, there's no stopping her.  So we have a new entry for the baby book: at 7 and a half months, she was able to roll front to back and back to front. And this makes me happy :)

And now I will also include a fact from the NDSS (National Down Syndrome Society) website and their Down Syndrome Fact Sheet.  After all, it is Down Syndrome Awareness Month, it seems likes facts are part of awareness.

Down syndrome is the most commonly occurring chromosomal condition. One in every 691 babies is born with Down syndrome.

And I'm including a video today :) This kid gets crazy after a bath so we tried to get some of it...

video

No comments:

Post a Comment