Saturday, December 10, 2011

Day 10

Today was a good day.  We were able to see more of our friends in one day than we usually see in 3 months! I have to say, it could have started a little later than it did though because my darling daughter decided at 4:30 that it was time to get up.  While I didn't relish getting up at that hour on a Saturday, it's pretty hard to be upset with one of the sweetest faces in the world looking at you when you go into her room.  She almost always wakes up happy and it's honestly one of the best parts of my day when I get to see that smile first thing in the morning.  Then we got to spend time with one of my best friends and her husband and kids.  I am so incredibly luck to have this family in my life and they have been among Tera's biggest supporters. 

We were roommates our freshman year in college and when I transferred my sophomore year, neither one of us knew how close we would get through the years.  We visited regularly in college even though we were in different states, I was in her wedding, I counted down the days until she had her twins and visited her in the hospital after she had them.  I stayed with her to help her with the twins and she was one of the first people I told when I got pregnant.  She took my maternity pictures, came to visit us in the hospital, and held my hand when I took her up to visit Tera in the NICU promising me everything would be fine and she would always be there for us and told me how excited she was to take Tera's newborn pictures as soon as she was home, and then took the most beautiful pictures of our little girl.  She has reminded me several times to lean on her when I need to and despite both of our hectic schedules, we always make time to visit with each other's new families. 

Then we dropped Tera off at my mom's so she could get spoiled rotten overnight and we could go out to dinner for Tom's birthday.  Apparently she had a rough couple hours though and that is one of the reasons that it is so hard sometimes to leave her with other people.  I'm never worried about her, I always worry about how she's going to be and how much work she'll be.  She's usually such a good baby but every kid has their days and apparently this was one of them for her.  She was so good all day long but didn't really get a good nap in during the afternoon and I think that was the downfall.  So of course I'll feel awful when we pick her up tomorrow morning and my mom will tell me it's fine that she was just worried about her and I'll still feel bad, but I've come to find out guilt is pretty much built into parenthood and so I'll just have to figure out a way to live with it. 

But while Tera was testing my mom's abilities to soothe an unhappy baby, we were able to enjoy a nice lesiurely meal with friends.  One of the best parts of almost all of our friends right now is that we all had kids at almost exactly the same time so they're all within a few months of each other.  While this can be viewed as difficult, especially when attempting to plan a night out, it's also comforting to know that everyone is experiencing the same things around the same time.  We're able to share in our joys and concerns, happiness and exhaustion, and it's one more thing to bring us closer together. 

So tonight I'm grateful for fabulous friends and a mom who loves her granddaughter very much...


No comments:

Post a Comment