Sunday, January 15, 2012

Family time happiness

We just got home from Tom's first hockey career shutout! I am a proud hockey wife tonight.  I have to admit, there was some anxiety on my part about going to the game at 6:30 on a Sunday night because I knew we wouldn't be home until after 8 and not having that crucial downtime has led to anxiety ridden Sunday nights and unpleasant Monday mornings.  But as I sit here with my glass of wine, wrapped in my blanket, and writing this, I'm very calm. 

We had a great weekend.  Tom played hockey Friday night (and played well then too) and I was able to relax and write.  Saturday we got our coffee, ran our only errands early, I forced myself to workout, and we spent the rest of the day at home getting little things done, including a nap! We actually made dinner at home, got to spend time with our buddy and Tera's buddy, and watched some football (though definitely not my favorite part of the weekend when my Saints lost).  This morning I got to enjoy my coffee at home, my mom stopped by, we met some friends for dinner, and we headed off to Tom's game. 

It was some much needed, much deserved, and highly enjoyable relaxing family time for us.  These weekends don't happen nearly enough, but I suppose that makes them easier to appreciate when they do.  As we were in the car this afternoon I told Tom that while I think most people dread this time of the year because it's post-holidays and often dreary and cold, I don't mind it as much because it's a chance to hole up in my house with the love of my life and this year, for the first time, my beautiful little girl, and just be a family together. 

Last year at this time we spent many weekends actually almost bored because we were trying not to make plans since we didn't know when our little Stink would make her appearance.  I really enjoyed those weekends because we had time together, with no stress, and it was the last time it was just the two of us.  I love them now because we can forget about the doctors, the therapies, and all the other stresses that have encompassed us for the last 10 months (or at least we try to do this) and just focus on the three of us.   

This week Tera has her surgery to have her tubes put in and is getting two different scopes to rule out, or identify, any issues in her throat.  I'm anxious to see how this affects her development since we know right now she hears mostly muffled sounds.  I also want to know one way or the other if she has any other issues that could be contributing to her noisy breathing, snoring, resistance to bottles, and restless sleeping.  All things to be determined Wednesday. 

Right now I need to finish my wine and get to bed so I can be ready to face this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment