Friday, January 13, 2012

Yes Adam Sandler inspired me...

So while I was home with Tera on Wednesday, I happened to catch the movie Grownups on TV.  I've seen it a bunch of times and it seems to be one of the ten or so movies that's on at least four times a day on one of the movie channels, but if I'm just working around the house or playing with Tera, I tend to turn on something I don't necessarily need to pay attention to, but that amuses me in some way.  As I watched it this time, I realized how many more similarities there are to the movie and my life than say, oh about 10 months ago.  If you haven't seen it, it's an Adam Sandler movie (along with Chris Rock, Rob Schneider, David Spade, Kevin James, etc) where a bunch of childhood friends reunite at their summer vacation home to pay homage to their old basketball coach who has recently died.  Throughout the movie they try and do all the things they did as kids, but along with their own kids.  David Spade's character is still single (the only one of the group) and he still gets drunk, does shots, sleeps with random women, etc.  At one point when he's trying to get the whole group to do shots with him, Adam Sandler's character says they can't do that kind of thing anymore because they all have kids they have to get up with in the morning now.  I realized, not only how mine and Tom's lives have changed, but how our whole group of friends has changed, and not in a bad way at all, it's just that I'm realizing the changes and the movie kind of made me think about it more. 

We were never what you would call "party people".  We're not really club people, and we're only kind of bar people.  At large gatherings, we pretty much end up just hanging out with each other.  We're a unique group of friends, loyal like none other, and have a blast with each other.  We all pretty much love just hanging out at someone's house, having drinks, a bonfire is often involved, and being completely ridiculous.  A few of our friends had kids earlier than the rest of us, but for the most part, all of us just started and it managed to pretty much all happen at once.  So whereas a few years ago it might have been difficult to get together at times, it was usually because we all had other obligations or work or some other random responsibility.  But now, it's a little more difficult because we all have to find sitters and depending on who's watching the kids, there's not a lot of late nights because we all have little early risers. 

I've realized that when we schedule get- togethers, they're usually planned around bed times or nap times or some place that's convenient for them to sleep or eat or whatever the case may be.  We also all travel with a lot more crap.  Diapers, bottles, toys, food, playpens, strollers, car seats; it's exhausting!

But honestly, I wouldn't change it.  Yes there are times when it would be nice to have less responsibility, however, I don't feel like I missed out on anything in my 20's and as a group and as a couple, we had some really great times.  And we'll continue to have great times.  We both look forward to when we can get all of our families together and do a simple trip somewhere and all the kids can play together.  I look forward to when the babies are a little older and actually recognize each other and play.  I look forward to birthday parties and holidays. 

Because while one really fun and completely memorable chapter in our lives has kind of closed, an equally exciting one is opening. 


No comments:

Post a Comment