Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Update and thank you's

I survived my first day back to work after our very crazy weekend.  I'm exhausted, but I survived.  I did explain to my students what is going on with Tera just so that they know why I've been out more than usual lately and in case anything comes up this week.  I emailed the doctor yesterday about her cough not improving and he said it would probably take a while so I guess we just have to wait it out.  Ughhh... Tomorrow I will take her in for what was supposed to be her one year check up, but instead will just be a checkup for the pneumonia.

She did have a great day back at school and even made it through a half hour of physical therapy (we took it easy today).  But she did have two very big moments in the past few days.  Sunday, while taking her bath in the big tub for the first time, she rolled herself forward to her stomach from sitting (this is happening a little more frequently but still not all the time), pushed herself onto her hands and knees (also improving), and then pushed herself into sitting position! This was the first time she's ever been able to get from any position back into sitting by herself and I was beside myself with excitement.  Then today when I picked her up from school, one of her teachers said she actually saw her transition into sitting from laying down!!!! I can't believe that she's able to finally achieve these more physically demanding milestones, while having pneumonia.  I can't wait until we can see it ourselves. 
Tera's first adventure in the big tub with her new Star Wars bath toys from Auntie Lindsay and Uncle Joshie

I'm still in awe that she was able to make it through her party on Saturday considering how she was feeling; and for that we have several people to thank, both on her part and on ours.  First, a huge thank you needs to go out to my sister Lindsay and her boyfriend Josh.  Lindsay was able to take care of Tera on Friday and on then on Saturday helped me haul all of her stuff around to the doctors trying to figure out what was wrong.  While we were dealing with that mess, Josh was a huge help to Tom at home helping him decorate and get the house ready and picking up the food.  Our day would have been a lot more stressful without all their help.  And an equally huge thank you goes to my in-laws who were on crisis management detail.  They were able to pick up the balloons and cake while I was at the doctor and Tom was dealing with the house and then picked up medication for Tera and brought it back for us.  They also helped us with last minute set up and my mother-in-law went around making sure people filled out their predictions for Tera (she's very tough to argue with).  And speaking of predictions, I'd like to thank my very good friend Heather for suggesting such a personal touch to the party.  I loved the idea of everyone sharing what they think the next year will bring for Tera.  My sister Cassie was also a big help picking up some last minute items and baking her delicious honey-do bars.  She also provided some additional, much needed, emotional support.  I can't thank my brother-in-law Mike enough for taking sooo many wonderful pictures at her party.  We clearly did not have the opportunity and he did a great job.  My mom provided the most help in the week leading up to her party.  She stayed home with Tera last Tuesday so Tom and I didn't have to miss another day of work when she was still sick and checked on both Tera and I everyday last week to see how she was feeling and I was holding up.  She listened to me cry and worry, gave me advice, and reassured me. Of course, I wouldn't have made it through the weekend at all without Tom.  He worried with me, helped put together our list of concerns and questions for the doctor, orchestrated the party preparations, and shared with me those two very sleepless nights.  And I am so very, very thankful to every one of our family and friends who were able to join us.  It was a crazy day but everyone was so understanding of her situation and reminded me once again how lucky Tera is by just being there to celebrate and showering her with so many thoughtful gifts.  We had some very special people pick out some very special and well-thought out gifts and it was just as exciting for me to see what she got!

I'm still feeling so many emotions regarding this past weekend and also the upcoming weekend, but I have to save something for tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment