Thursday, March 22, 2012

Day 22- More time please

Just one more day. I just have to make it through one more day.  I can do this.  I'm going to keep telling myself that tomorrow. 

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that I haven't lined up 50 things to do in the hopes of completing at least 30 of them and realistically only completing about 5.  This time I have a very short to do list and the rest of the time, aside from the day to day stuff of being home with my mischievous little girl, will be spent relaxing.  Haha, we'll see about that one.  I keep seeing these posts pop up on Facebook about books and realizing that this may be the longest I've gone without reading in my life.  I may also be setting some kind of record by how long it could take to read a single book (I think I'm somewhere around at least 18 months if not longer).  If you're wondering, I'm reading Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies.  No I've never read the original and yes, I'm enjoying it, but I don't think it quite has the hook to keep me going when my attention span is about 10 minutes at max and I'm usually too tired to make it through one page before falling asleep.  I'm thinking I need something a little quicker and then maybe I can return to this, in 20 years?

When I was a kid, I loved reading.  I would finish entire books while sitting at Barnes and Noble with my Dad and sisters.  I was a fast reader and I would do it any chance I could.  I truly believe it's what has made my vocabulary so extensive and my grammar skills better than average (at least I like to think so but I'm pretty sure I have multiple English teachers reading this so don't be too critical).  I still love it and there have been times in the past few years when it's actually depressed me to think about how many incredible books are out there that I'm missing out on.  I know there will probably be a time in my life again when that may happen and mostly I just need to get back into one and stop thinking about it. 

As an adult, I've actually gone back and read some books from high school that I didn't quite appreciate or take the time to enjoy.  I love Wuthering Heights and am very glad I took the time to reread it after high school.  I never had to read To Kill a Mockingbird so I read that with my advisory a few years ago when they had to do it and I absolutely loved it.  I also have the Odyssey and Dante's Inferno on my list but I think I'd like to get through some that I haven't read yet first.  I've tried throwing some other "classics" into my routine here and there and read some that I enjoyed and some that were just okay.  Most of them were ones I didn't have to read in school and therefore never got around to.  I've read Farewell to Arms and Catcher in the Rye. I started reading One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and kept getting distracted so that's still on my list.  I have a whole bunch on my Amazon list, but people kept buying them for me and I don't have time to read them so I finally just moved them from my list to try and get through the ones I have.

I also really enjoy cross-stitching and started a birth record for Tera when I was about 4 months pregnant and it's still not done.  Neither is her Christmas stocking.  Mostly I'm hoping that between June and August I can finish at least one of those. 

Ok, so reading and crosstitching.  Two things I do to do relax and two things I never have time for.  I think it's time to find some time.  How exactly do I do that?



1 comment:

  1. Oh, me too! I've done a few Dickens novels, Wuthering Heights, Jane Austen novels, etc. Never read any classics as a kid, but did do a lot of reading. It's so much fun. You can read them out loud to Tera if she doesn't protest. I do that sometimes...

    ReplyDelete