Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sunday night-finally?

It's been a hell of weekend; one where Tom isn't so terribly upset about going back to work tomorrow.  It's nothing incredibly dramatic, just somewhat of an exhausting couple of days. 

We had decided about a month or so ago that we wanted to redo our entire bedroom (and by we I mean I'm the one who brought up our furniture and paint) and that led us into deciding if we were going to redo it, we'd do it right, and that meant refinishing our floor.  Our house was built in 1959 and therefore has gone through some trends.  The house originally had hardwood floors throughout our entire main level and all of upstairs, but at some point, as was popular at many different times, someone decided to carpet the bedrooms.  Two of the three bedrooms still had carpet when we moved in and after a particularly bad experience with a new brand of food for Jaina, the carpeting in what is now Tera's room had to come up.  Tom refinished her floor while I was pregnant and it turned out so nice that we planned on doing the same thing to the other two rooms at some point.  That some point is now.  This is really the first major project we've attacked since Tera was born and it does come with its complications.  None of the those anticipated complications included her being sick all weekend though.  On Friday afternoon Tom undertook the literally back breaking, head ringing task of sanding down the whole bedroom floor.  After five hours, he had a little more sanding to finish Saturday morning before he could start staining. 

I'm an incredibly lucky lady for many reasons, but one of them is that my husband is incredibly handy and can tackle most home projects by himself.  While many do-it-yourselfers attempt to do what he does, he also does it very well and the floor was no exception, it looks fabulous! Next up is painting the ceiling and walls where my sister and I come in. 

But back to my sick baby.  She's managed to make it a whole couple weeks, maybe even close to a month now of being healthy, but as they say, all good things must come to an end and this one did rather abruptly.  She was fine all of Friday until about 2pm.  While Tom was still sanding away, I was entertaining a very cranky child for several hours.  We finally caved and gave her some Motrin and my sister was able to push her on her swing until it finally kicked in.  Friday night was not what I would call a good night followed by an incredibly lethargic, feverish little girl all day Saturday.  Tera is not a kid who sits still, ever, but she managed to fall asleep 45 minutes after waking up in my arms watching Big Cat Diary and slept for two and a half hours.  She was ok for a little while, then fell asleep again at around 11 until 2.  When she woke up this time, she just wasn't herself.  We spent the rest of the night trying to make her feel better, alternating medicines, and then she finally crashed around 8 only to wake up at 12:30 throwing up.  Fortunately it was short lived and she went fairly easily back to sleep.  When she woke up warm again this morning we decided it was time for sick call and after spending and hour and a half at the office, the doctor basically confirmed my original suspicion of some sort of virus along with teething.  She's still seems incredibly uncomfortable without Motrin and hasn't eaten a whole meal since lunchtime on Friday. 

So pair my weekend of trying to soothe a cranky, sick, uncomfortable baby with Tom's exhausting floor project and you have kind of a crappy weekend.  Not all together bad, but not relaxing in the least.  So we're currently sitting on the couch, enjoying some wine and a beautiful breeze, just waiting to go to bed (which is currently located in our living room). 

No comments:

Post a Comment