Thursday, August 30, 2012

My first week back

I've officially been back to work for four whole days now and I'm exhausted.  So far it's gone well, I just need a few more hours in the day and it would be great if I could maybe use one or two of those extra hours for sleep.

I started out the week on Monday with an institute day that included a fantastic speaker.  As much as I'm not a fan of touchy, feely, we're going to change the world type presentations, I do appreciate starting out the school year being inspired and challenged to try something new that doesn't involve curriculum.  As a teacher, I need more help finding ways to reach my students and make them want to succeed and less time on how to instruct them and that was exactly what our speaker talked about.  I came out of that day with ideas and I was inspired to reach my students even more.  It turns out that I also seem to have a pretty good group of students to work with and so I'm excited to see how the year progresses.  One thing that I did debate about was whether to share all of Tera's "information" with my students on the first day.  I used to do a little more of an introduction of myself on the first day and I've gotten away from that and just let them get to know me as the year progresses.  However, I do feel her situation sometimes affects my job and so I contemplated it, but in the end I decided that if I don't want other people to make a big deal about it, I shouldn't either.  If it doesn't come up before October, I will definitely be sharing it for Down Syndrome Awareness Month.  

The difficult part of the week has been in trying to adjust to being back at work with our crazy home life.  I've been making a very conscious effort to work out regularly these past few weeks and this was the first week I've had to do it while working.  Monday was easy because Tera was with Tom's parents during the day and then we go over there for dinner so I was able to come home, get it done, and then head over there.  Tuesday Tera had PT at home so Tom worked out while I came home for her therapy then when he got home, I changed and did my workout, we ate dinner, did her bath, put her to bed, I paid bills, and then I collapsed into bed.  On Wednesday Tom worked out, I picked Tera up, came home, prepared some things for our lunches, Tom came home, I worked out while he started her dinner, I finished my workout, we ate dinner, played with Tera for about 20 minutes and then it was time for her to go to bed, and I finally sat down for about 20 minutes before Tera woke up for the first of many times and then we both collapsed into bed.  This afternoon I had a chiropractor appointment so Tom picked Tera up, I came home, we ate dinner, took a short walk, played for a bit, put Tera to bed and I finally had a chance to sit down and write (before we both collapse into bed).  It's difficult to know that I've had so much less time to even just sit down with Tera each evening before she has to go to bed because she's so tired from her day at school.  We knew that if we both wanted to be able to workout, our evenings would be a little more hectic and maybe as we settle into our new routine things will get a little easier, but it's important to both of us that we are able to do this so we're trying to make it work.  Fortunately we have a long weekend ahead of us and I can catch up on some snuggle and play time with my favorite little girl.  

On the other hand, Tera seems to be finding new ways to spend time with us since she has woken up every night this week so far in the middle of the night, and last night was at least five times after we initially put her to bed.  She does in fact have a new tooth that should break ground any day now, so we're attributing these restless nights to that and hoping there's nothing more to it.  Tonight we just gave her the Motrin before bed and we're hoping for the best (so that I can collapse and STAY in bed until morning).  
Reading time with my girl

No comments:

Post a Comment