Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Day 24

So here's my interesting Down Syndrome fact for the day:  children with DS tend to get their teeth in late, out of order, and very slowly.  The reason this fact is pertinent today is that teeth seem to be the plague of my daughter's existence this whole week.  Thank goodness for ibuprofen...

Today's post is another collection of responses to my questions.  Enjoy!

Do you think Tera has changed our family and if so, how?

She has definitely changed our family. She has brought more love into the family. When I see her I just have to hold her. I try not to squeeze her too hard, but she is such a good little hugger. She's a constant reminder about what is really important in life - family. Tera has brought so much love into this family, not that it was in short supply before, but now it's even greater. I think that Tera being born into this family has brought more attention to the special needs of kids with DS. We all attend the Gigi's fund raiser. I've told the story to numerous people around the world and they all know someone with DS or someone caring for another with DS. The whole world knows about it, but until it reaches you personally, you never really focus on it. Tera has brought focus to DS in our family.

I think she is special in the sense that she will always be my first grandchild with her extra special qualities and she will need our extra care and love.  From a Mom's perspective she will always be that loving little girl, but having my three girls I can tell you each of you holds a special place in my heart as she will and any other child you may have in the future.

The birth of any child changes a family.  The addition of anyone to a family cannot help but change it.  The important thing is that there is no negative change as a result of Tera's birth and situation.  By that, I mean we are all what we are and always have been with a new situation to negotiate; the same as any new addition.

What are you most looking forward to in the future?

Seeing her get her picture taken every year with or in The Stanley Cup. :) And watching her develop along the way. You know with the parents she has (have I told you how proud I am of her parents?) she will love hockey and she will be competitive in whatever she decides to do.

Watching her grow and reach her milestones, and getting kisses and hugs forever!

Retirement.  But as regards Tera, just seeing how she progresses and interacts with her family and friends.  Also, to see her bitchin' fall away jump shot.  Oh.  And I'm also looking forward to the day when she stops staring at me like that.

More to come tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment