Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Day 30

As the month is winding down quickly here I had an idea for a post for tonight but I figured that may be a better way to end the month and I got another family submission today.  In hindsight I wish I would have spread them out so that each person had their own post, but I wasn't sure how many I would get.  

I would like to throw out there that if anybody that reads this ever has any interest in doing a guest post, I would absolutely love to have you.  I'm guessing there is a chance that I may get one or two more family responses still and I will share those if I get them, but if anyone else has any type of post they'd like me to share (and it doesn't have to be about Tera), please, please, please let me know.  

This is from Tera's other grandma (yet another one of her adoring fans).

How has Tera's diagnosis changed me or my way of thinking?
 Not sure her "diagnosis" has changed me or my way of thinking but she sure has.  I never thought being a grandparent would have this effect on me.  Whenever I'm around her or even just think about her I can't help but smile. She is amazing.
 
 What am I most proud of her for so far?
 Just being her.  She is one determined little girl.  Once she gets something she just runs with it. 
 
What were my initial worries???
 There were so many.  When Tom first called we just sat on the floor and cried.  Then I thought about all the children I had worked with who had Down Syndrome and I was confused.  Would she be as challenged as some of the students I knew or would she be able to get along just fine.  Then we got back home and I laid eyes on her for the first time.  All I can say is that all my initial worries seemed to disappear and I was in love.  I was scared about the physical challenges she was going through and about the challenges her mom and dad were facing but for some reason I felt sure that she would be just fine.
 
How has she changed the family?
 For one thing she seems to be the first thing we all ask about.  "Have you seen Tera lately?"  "How is Tera doing?" 
The other change is she has brought us all a lot closer.  Tom & Michael have always been close but not like now.  I know Melissa and Cathy were always good friends but not like now.  She seems to be a love magnet and everyone that loves her have opened their hearts to the rest of us.
 
What do I look forward to in the future?
 So many things.  Right now it's her first word.  It's kind of hard to figure out what her grunts mean even when she is doing so well with her signing.  I look forward to watching her in her school programs. Watching her learn to swim, ride a bike, run, hit a baseball, play guitar with her papou, play video games with her uncle Mikey, baking cookies with me and my daughers-in-law, and so much more.  Mostly I look forward to her having a happy future.  Her being able to do what ever she wants.
 
Anything else?
 I am so amazed at how Tera lights up my life.  All she has to do is give me one of her smiles and I just melt.  Sorry Tom and Melissa but I'm going to spoil her rotten.



No comments:

Post a Comment