Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 4

During the month of October there are more articles about Down Syndrome on the Internet than usual.  I always keep an eye out for those positive stories about individuals that have beaten the proverbial odds by doing things that most other "typical" people might do, but that is more extraordinary for people with DS.  Part of me wonders why I'm continually inspired by these stories when my hope from the beginning was that she'd be able to do anything.  But I know that these stories are always incredible because for most of these individuals, at some point in their life, someone probably said that they wouldn't be able to do anything that would amount to anything.  It may have been a doctor, or a therapist, or even a teacher that didn't set high enough expectations, but from everything thing I've read, most families of individuals with DS have heard this at some point.

Now, 19 months into our journey I have yet to hear anything that has even come close to that regarding Tera.  You would all know about it because whoever said it would be on the national news lying comatose somewhere after having received the beating of their life from both Tom and I, all her grandparents, aunts, uncles, and friends.  I of course have had many fears of what she might not be able to do, but I've never once thought she wouldn't actually be able to do something.

I search out these articles and share them to remind myself and everyone else in her life and that follows her life, that her potential is limitless.  Does it mean she will be good at everything she tries? Nope.  But I'm not aware of many people that are.  We're not fans of kids never being allowed to lose at anything.  Will it hurt us to see her upset at not succeeding at something at some point? Of course, but better to learn from it, accept it, and move on.  Do I think it will deter her from trying something else? Absolutely not.  Nothing I've seen from her yet would indicate that.

A few days ago I came across a blog post about a mom who listed nine myths about raising a child with Down Syndrome.  Her birth story and subsequent feelings reminded me in part of what we experienced after Tera was born.  I thought about coming up with my own list of myths and including them here, but I feel her list is pretty comprehensive and I don't know about that I could come up with many others.

I'm including a few other links here too because I know not everyone is on Facebook to see when I post them there.  Please take a few minutes and at least skim them to remind yourself that Tera WILL do plenty of ordinary and extraordinary things in her life.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120915/NEWS10/309150118

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2012/aug/30/eve-samples-couple-with-down-syndrome-learns-the/

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120820/COL03/308200093?fb_action_ids=3928433762005&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%223928433762005%22%3A10151155501820804%7D&action_type_map=%7B%223928433762005%22%3A%22og.recommends%22%7D&action_ref_map

http://www.wltx.com/video/784219182001/0/Teacher-Born-With-Down-Syndrome-Breaks-Stereotype


No comments:

Post a Comment