Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Back from my hiatus


After a month of continuous posting (minus a day or two here and there) I felt I needed to take a break, but mostly it was because we had something going on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of last week and then Sunday I just ran out of time. 

I was going to post this earlier last week but then I ended up with family guest posts that I wanted to share more.  Last week it struck me once again that we are lucky.  In my readings and in my DS forums, I come across so many things that other children have and go through.  There are conditions and complications that I never even knew existed and when I read about what these kids, and their parents, go through, it always makes me think that Down Syndrome really isn’t that big of a deal for us.  Sure Tera has her problems, but as kids I had strep throat for almost a year and my sister had ear infections for almost a year and my mom dealt with both of us at the same time and still came out alive (though a bit frazzled).  We weren’t what I would consider chronically ill and I don’t think Tera is either, we’re just more aware of it with her because we know her immune system isn’t as strong as a typical child’s might be. 

I will probably always have some times when a pity party for myself, my family, or my daughter (or all three) seems like the most logical way to handle things.   I would venture to guess that most people, even the best at heart, have moments of self-pity.  It’s not always easy for me to see that things could be worse because stress and worry overcome me.  But in the calm moments that eventually come, I can experience clarity and appreciate what I have as a wife and a mom, and even as a sister, a daughter, a friend, a teacher, and everything else that I am. 

In November we celebrate Thanksgiving and though great food and times with family and friends are a major part of it, it really is to give thanks for what we have.  Many people are posting what they are thankful for each day for the month and having just come off a month long commitment to share the stories and experiences that are my life, I think I’ll keep to just sharing when I feel particularly thankful for something. 

On top of everything else I’ve shared, I’m thankful that Tera had such a great day yesterday.  It was the happiest I’ve seen her in a while and her smile and laughter can change your whole day and perspective.   


No comments:

Post a Comment