Monday, November 26, 2012

Update and 21 months!


I've been trying to find the time to post an update to our craziness and today is the first time I've had.  So far, in Tera’s first 21 months of life (yes it’s 21 months today!) she’s had pneumonia three times.  The first time was pretty severe: both lungs and her doctor couldn't believe that she was as happy and seemingly unaffected as she was.  The second time she ended up in the hospital because her breathing was so labored.  This third time was supposed to be the most minor case she’s had, and yet it seems to have lasted the longest and caused the most discomfort, exhaustion, and stress on all of us.  At one point during the past three weeks, for almost a week, Tera was on five different medications: two antibiotics, two nebulizer treatments, and an oral steroid.  These messed with her sleep, her stomach, but worst of all, her temperament.  Our usually happy, easy going girl was whiny, uncomfortable, unhappy, and just generally miserable. 

We thought we had been having a really fun time with all of this, and the three doctor visits and one chest x-ray, but then things got even more exciting when Tom and I both managed to get what we think was food poisoning sometime last Monday.  I ended up having to leave work halfway through the day on Monday, Tom got sick early Tuesday, and we both dragged our still nauseous, tired bodies to work on Tuesday and hoped for the best. 

Fortunately Wednesday we were both off of work and we dropped Tera off at daycare to get some much task-completion time.  I was moving a little slower than usual and still didn't feel 100%, but we managed to get quite a bit done and felt back to ourselves by Thursday morning. 

Unfortunately Tera was not feeling herself by Thursday afternoon still and spent the majority of the her time with the family during Thanksgiving dinner whining, unhappy, and tired.  We put her to bed early and hoped for the best.  While she slept well, the best that I had hoped for turned into her waking up at 4:50am on Friday, but happy.  And that seems to have been the turning point in this whole fiasco.  She had finally finished her oral steroid (which we think was causing the biggest change in her temperament) and she was back to the little girl who made us smile and laugh. 

This is a traditionally very busy weekend for us and our family, but I was able to do a lot that I wanted to.  I finished a lot of chores I've been wanting to get to, we cut down our Christmas tree, put out our Christmas decorations, and finally decorated our tree last night.  And here is where I need to credit my amazing husband.  While I love my house, there are certain things I wish were different; one of these things is our entryway.  Our garage was added after the house was built and so we don’t really have an entryway, we have a front door.  Since I've become obsessed with Pinterest I see all these beautiful entryways that people have decorated for the holidays.  Tom is aware of this desire of mine and has done everything he could this season to make our “front door area” into more of what I've been hoping it could be.  The man is incredibly skilled at being able to takes my hopes and turn them into realities and for that and a thousand other things, I love him so much.

And finally (yes I know this is long but I haven’t been able to write!) my beautiful girl is 21 months today.  I didn't even get a chance to do updates at 20 months so I’m really behind and I don’t even know where to start! 

She is walking all of the time now, pretty much no crawling at all anymore.  She still looks a little wobbly at times, but she is working so hard at it.  She loves being able to walk on her own into the house and down the driveway.  We've been trying as much as we can to let her do the things we know she can independently so most days she walks into the house when she gets home from school by herself, she climbs up the stairs for bath time and bedtime by herself and goes into her room.  She’s getting better at using a fork to feed herself and has done pretty well (prior to the pneumonia) with open cup drinking.  She’s recently added the words “fish” and “cookie” to her signing repertoire and adamantly shakes her head "no" at things she doesn't want (I’m not as thrilled with this development).  She seems to understand more directions (whether she chooses to follow them or not is another story)  and is beginning to imitate a lot more.  And finally one of our favorite new things that she does is bend over and put her hands on her knees and laugh.  It’s like she’s just heard the funniest thing and just can’t contain herself. 


Okay, I think I’m somewhat caught up.  I was hoping to be able to write a “thankful” post this weekend but that didn't happen and despite the past few weeks, I really do feel very thankful for many things.  I’m hoping to share that in the next day or two.  A huge thanks to everyone for sharing thinking about us and Tera these past few weeks.  It makes a huge difference to know that in our most stressful times, we have so many people that care for and love us.  We couldn't do this without you all.   

No comments:

Post a Comment