Thursday, January 10, 2013

Speech...again.

Let me start by saying Tera is doing great.  She's been walking for almost four months now, she does stairs pretty well, she's developing quite the personality (if not a tad mischievous), she seems to have a reasonable understanding of what we say to her, she's actually growing a little more regularly, and except for a few bouts of wheezing, she's relatively healthy for right now.  But still no words.

I go through phases of accepting it for what it is and celebrating all her other successes, and then I go through phases of letting it get to me more than it should like tonight.  I belong to a forum on BabyCenter.com for parents of kids with DS.  Each day I receive an email with a list of new posts in the forum.  I sometimes have more than a month's worth of emails sitting in my inbox waiting for me to find the time to read through them.  I've gotten pretty good at only reading the ones that seem pertinent and thereby saving myself some time.  Tonight I spent some time catching up on the past week and a half's worth of emails and too many of them were centered on speech.  I pretty much always read these and sometimes they make me feel better and sometimes, like tonight, not so much.

Most of the ones I read tonight were from parents whose kids are also struggling with speech, but almost every one stated that though delayed, their kids were doing and saying things that Tera isn't.  Some of them are around her age and some of them are younger.

Tera currently has about 20 signs I would say and we were pretty impressed by this.  But one mom posted that her 22 month old has almost 150 signs! I don't even know that many to teach her yet! Some parents said that their kids aren't saying any words other than "mama" and "dada" and I feel like I would jump up and down with joy if I could hear that.  I know that many of those kids may not have started walking at 19 months, but it's still very difficult for me to read.

Nobody else seems concerned and mostly I just hear that she'll get there, but it's still hard for me sometimes. I'm so incredibly proud of all her accomplishments so far and I know she'll reach this one too, but it's a fear of the unknown (is there a more serious reason behind her delay) and indescribable impatience to hear that first word (and if it's not "mama" to then hear that soon too).

Every time I get a report from one of her therapists, it includes how well Tera is doing.  She is definitely more motor-driven than language-driven and I know that oftentimes kids focus on one area at a time.  But I would't be heartbroken if she sat down for a few nights to give those legs a rest, and instead looked me in the eye and said "I love you too mommy".

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. http://dinocavekids.blogspot.ca/

      I used these dvd's when my son was speech delayed.

      Delete