Thursday, June 20, 2013

My kickoff to summer!

I don't remember the last time I had such a long break between posts, maybe it just seems long, but I had good reasons I swear and it wasn't even because Tera was sick this time!

Since my last post Tera did not really end up sick, just bad allergies we think, I finished my tenth school year, we successfully raised over $8,500 for the Gigi's 5K Fun Run/1 mile walk, and Tom and I celebrated nine years of marriage, sixteen years of being together, and went on a much needed and very enjoyable trip to New Orleans.

It's pretty amazing what a vacation and less daily stress can do for your outlook on life and your mental health.  Tom and I were in desperate need not only for some relaxation but for some time for just the two of us.  Our daily life so regularly revolves around whatever the current illness happens to be, what medications Tera is getting and which ones need to be refilled in a given week, what we might have the energy to make for dinner, who's taking her to what doctor, who will be home for a therapy session, contacting the therapists and scheduling each month, and trying to figure out how to incorporate the latest batch of strategies to either help her progress or to stop a certain behavior.  I have such a renewed energy now that I've recharged and don't have to go back to work for three months.

After a rather stressful 24 hours of cancelled and rescheduled flights, we spent five days not worrying about who was getting up with our sweet girl at 6am, getting her thyroid, reflux medication, and her morning nebulizer in, not having to worry about planning our day around anybody's nap time but ours, eating late, staying out late, and sleeping late (well, later anyway).  We needed it, I loved it, but at the end, I was ready to be home and Tera's welcome was no disappointment, our baby missed us.  We also needed to be able to detox our bodies from the amazing but heavy food and drinks we had indulged in.

And now I start the rest of my summer.  Tera can walk this summer and I'm so looking forward to all the things we can do.  I'm going to have fun with my daughter and as much as I can I'm going to work on as as many strategies to get her where I know she can be.  If there's one thing I've realized in the past couple weeks, it's how I've underestimated what she can do and I don't want to do that.  Tera is smart.  She may be delayed in some areas, but she is smart.  She is picking up new skills and sounds daily and her receptive language is increasing even more quickly; I want to take advantage of that.

One of the things I'd like to do this summer is share some more of the strategies we use with Tera in hopes that other parents of kids with DS can use some of the ideas when appropriate.  Of course, many of the things that we do with Tera work with kids of all abilities and if it can make things easier for someone else, what a bonus!  And of course I'll be sharing Tera's successes, inevitable trials, and pictures which I just can't help.

I welcome you all to what will hopefully be my best summer with Tera yet :)  


No comments:

Post a Comment