Sunday, October 13, 2013

Day 13 of Down Syndrome Awareness Month!

Last night Tom and I went to bed by around 9pm.  He had played hockey the night before, and I hadn't slept well so when his mom and our friends left after dinner, we decided bed would be a great idea.  While Tera hasn't tried to get out of her bed this week since switching from her crib, she has spent most nights whining for up to 20 or 30 minutes at a time three to four times a night.  I'm not sure if the bed is related this this happening, but either way, I don't think I've slept a full night this week.

People and TV shows, and movies, and books talk about how little sleep you get when babies are newborns.  Tera was great as a newborn, but since she turned one, it's been downhill.  Sometimes it's when she's sick, but lately I have no explanation for why I'm getting up two to three times a night with her.  So when we have an opportunity to just go to bed, like last night, we try and take advantage of it.  Unfortunately last night was another one of those nights so going to bed early only somewhat helped.

Then tonight bedtime took close to an hour.  It's no wonder I'm constantly trying to figure out why I have no time.  It would be one thing if I was at least getting quality time with her, but most of that time is spent just sitting in her room waiting for her to go to sleep and then trying to sneak back across the room without waking her up with the creaking floors in her room.

The last few days I've had really great ideas for posts, but then by the time I sit down to write them, I'm completely exhausted.

Tera does have some sensory sensitivity that I always try to be aware of.  We use a weighted blanket to help her fall asleep since she moves around so much, but inevitably that ends up thrown off and sometimes she doesn't want it on at all.  She doesn't like blankets covering her feet, but she always has cold feet in the mornings when she gets up.  She's somewhat of a restless sleeper so she moves around constantly.  When she was a baby I always thought we were so lucky to have such a good sleeper, but now I think it's more of an anomaly when she doesn't wake up at least once.  The unfortunate part is that it's like this when she's healthy.  When she's sick I expect at least three wake up's a night.

I know there are probably essential oils out there, or some other holistic approach,  that can probably help with this, but I need to be able to research them and that's where the problem starts.

Today was a fabulous day.  I already have a special breakfast planned for Tera and I in the morning and Tom has the day off with us so we can spend an extra day as a family.  And maybe tonight will be the night that she finally feels comfortable in her bed and doesn't wake up until 7am.  Or maybe I just shouldn't stay up too late tonight...


No comments:

Post a Comment