Saturday, October 19, 2013

Day 19 of Down Syndrome Awareness Month!

I felt like I was on kind of a roll last night with my list of things I've learned as a parent so here's a continuation of that list.

13.)  Clutter doesn't mean the same thing it used to. I never intended on decorating my living room in Ikea storage units and a Sesame Street kitchen, but somehow it's working. 

14.)  I will never stop thinking I'm hearing a crying kid when I'm in the shower. Unless she's not home. 

15.) I may never finish an adult book in less than 3-6 months again. 

16.) I don't need a reason to buy my kid new clothes or toys. If I want to, I'm going to. 

17.) Down Syndrome is not as scary as I thought it would be. It presents new challenges, many celebrations, a new appreciation for different, and a pride I never imagined for Tera's accomplishments. 

18.) People are only looking at her longer in public because her face is insanely beautiful and she's usually
waving at them. 

19.) We can do this. 

20.) I can do a ridiculous number of things with only one hand.

21.)  We can relive our childhoods through Tera.  She doesn't know that some of the things she's playing with are, in some cases, over twenty years old.

22.) Patience has never been as important as it has been since Tera was born.  Patience with her, with myself, in waiting for her to meet milestones, in dealing with doctors, in conversations with other people about how things will eventually get better or easier, with people who say things because they just don't know any better, with behaviors and stages that last longer than in typical kids, and just with life in general.

I think that's a good place to stop for now.  I will probably pick this up again at some point in the future, but I believe this is a pretty comprehensive list so far.  Now I have some picture sorting to do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment