Thursday, October 24, 2013

Day 24 of Down Syndrome Awareness Month!

Being a mom.  It's not always easy, it's not always fun, but it is incredibly rewarding and full of love.  I know many, many moms out there that are really great.  I have many moms in my life that I admire incredibly.  But in my eyes, my mom tops them all.  If you ask her, she says that my sisters and I give her too much credit, but she deserves every bit of it.  I owe my mom a lot (life would be a big one I guess), but for all the things she has done for me, what I'm most grateful for is her inspiring me to be a mom.  Life hasn't always been easy for any of us, but through it all I've always known I was loved and would be taken care of.  To this day, as soon as something goes wrong or when Tera is sick, I call my mom.  I don't even necessarily want her to do anything, I just need to hear her voice and wait for her to tell me it will all be okay; even when we don't know if it really will be.

And in addition to being a great mom, she is also a great Nani to Tera.  Tonight I would like to share my mom's perspective on Tera.

In so many ways I see her as just as a typical little 2 1/2 year old. She's curious, likes to test what she can get away with without being scolded and extremely energetic. I love her silliness, how hard she works to accomplish what she wants to do and how much she understands even if she can't communicate back to you with talking.  Tera picks up signing quickly, she learned how to sign Nani in just a few minutes.  I love watching her play and seeing that little brain working. She remembers what we do together when she stays at my house; dumping recycling on the floor and putting it back repeatedly or putting it on my head. Playing catch and her laughing at me when she throws it in another direction. Opening up her toy tunnel and each of us crawling in on each end.

I find her amazing and can't wait to see how she continues to learn and show us her endless capabilities.  Of course I am her Nani and pretty much anything she does is pretty exceptional!


No comments:

Post a Comment