Friday, October 25, 2013

Day 25 of Down Syndrome Awareness Month!

Once again we are faced with an inexplicable Tera dilemma.  Only this one isn't new.  And it may not even be something we can do anything about.  But I'm tired.

Tera was a great sleeper when she was an infant.  We chalked it up to the fact that we had enough to deal with after her birth, the very least we could get was a kid who slept well.  And she did.  Until she was about a year and a half.  That summer after her first birthday I was up with her sometimes four times in a night and it was least once a night most nights.  Since then she has gone in phases.  Obviously when she's sick it's worse, but quite regularly we're faced with sleep problems when she's seemingly perfectly healthy.

Here's what tends to happen.  A few times a night (some nights are better, some nights are worse) she'll start whining in her sleep.  This could last anywhere from a few seconds, to twenty or thirty minutes.  Sometimes she'll just fall back asleep (although she never really seems to be completely awake), and sometimes I have to get up with her.  Sometimes I can just reposition her and recover her and she's back out.  Sometimes, like last Thursday and then again last night, she has a more difficult time getting back to sleep.

We can't really connect it to anything.  Sometimes it's just whining for a while, sometimes that whining turns into full out crying.  Sometimes she'll fall back asleep on her own, sometimes I have to get up and comfort her.  I really have no idea what might be causing this, but there are weeks where I might not get a full night's sleep the whole week.

The other somewhat confusing thing she has going on lately is how long it takes her to fall asleep some nights.  This past Sunday night and Monday night I sat next to her bed and watched her completely flip over and flip positions for over fifteen minutes straight before she even got close to falling asleep.  Then of course I had to try and sneak out of her room without setting off our wood floors at which point I occasionally had to start all over.  It almost seems to be an input thing for her, but I've tried her weighted blanket and that doesn't always help.

As I type this, she's been in bed for an hour and I've already had to go up to her room once and rocked her just so she would go back to sleep.  And in a few seconds here, I'll probably be going back up again.  I don't know what else to do to help her and I'm not even sure who to ask about it.  I don't have any other toddlers myself to compare her to so I don't know how much of this is normal, but couldn't we maybe catch that same break we got when she was an infant?

I know I'm tired and slightly concerned that something is preventing her from being able to sleep comfortably.  And right now, despite the fact that I would really like to take this time that I have to myself (while she intermittently sleeps and Tom plays hockey) and do something I want, like flip through the stack of catalogs sitting next to me, I should be practical and and give in to my urge and just go to bed.  That way at least I can catch some sleep on the front end of the night and try and survive yet another night.


No comments:

Post a Comment