Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Day 30- An interview with my husband

If there's one thing Tera loves more than almost anything else in her world, it's her dad. "Dada" was her first word and she has been Daddy's girl for quite a while now.  They get to roughhouse together all the time, they are silly together, he teaches her all about the Star Wars characters he has bestowed upon her, and she just absolutely adores him.

I couldn't wait to see Tom as a dad.  I knew he would be great and when we found out we were having a girl, I was even more excited.  I have not been disappointed once.  When I see them together I feel like everything is right with the world.  When I hear her sweet voice say "Dada", I can just hear her love for him.  

When we received Tera's diagnosis, Tom was just as upset as I was.  We were both completely blindsided by it and all the health implications that came along with it.  We were new parents trying to deal with this huge shock and despite how supportive every one of our family and friends were, it couldn't compare to what we as parents felt; we had only each other to confide our fears and concerns.  It was something that I feel cemented our relationship even further and has proved to us once again that we really can handle anything.

I've been saving this post for the end of the month because I thought it would be a really great way to cap it off.  I'm going to interview Tom and use his responses as the rest of this post.  It may end up taking more than one night, but I want it to be meaningful so here goes.  This will be my last official post for Down Syndrome Awareness Month.  Tomorrow we have a fun filled evening with the Stanley Cup planned so I am going to take the night off from anything else.  So here goes:

What's the one thing you've learned since Tera was born?
How to change a shitty diaper.  

How much success do you still feel about winning the naming of Tera?
In the end I always get what I want.

What still scares you about Down Syndrome?
The future.  The inevitable, the time when someone says something offensive to her or treats her differently because of it.  

What's something that Tera has done that has surprised you?
On any given week, it's the small things.  Tonight she was able to scoop out the last little bit of applesauce from a bowl, the first time she signed, and when she took her first steps.

What kind of things do you envision the two of you doing together?
Watching hockey, movies, cooking together, and I'm sure at some point I'll end up with make-up on my face since I've already had bows in my hair.

What do you worry about her not being able to do?
Driving a car always lingers, living on her own, will she have the ability to do sports or athletics in some fashion, will she be able to skate?

What do you worry about her struggling with?
The educational side of things.

What do you worry about the most?
Mostly just the future.  The possible heart surgery.  I'm not really worried about her medically other than that.  More what to expect in the distant future.
How has she changed how you look at things?
I try to slow down and understand where people are coming from now.  Is someone behind me rushing to get somewhere because it's more important than where I'm trying to get?  I try to assume more that people have good reasons for the way they act.  

What are the best memories you have so far as a dad?
ComiCons and her excitement when we come home.

What are things you did with your parents that you want to do with Tera?
Take an interest in what she's interested in.  My parents did things that I liked doing, even if it wasn't necessarily what interested them.  They always took an interest in my interests.  

What are your goals as a parent?
Give her the tools she needs to succeed and be happy.

If you could go back to the the day Tera was born and tell yourself anything, what would it be?
I wouldn't change anything or want to know anything different.

What advice would you give to other new parents facing a birth diagnosis?
The good times outweigh the shitty times.

What do you love most about Tera?
Her personality.









1 comment:

  1. AMAZING! Your family is amazing! I love that you share this blog with the world!

    ReplyDelete