Friday, November 8, 2013

A big warm welcome back to our old friend pnuemonia...

Well, Tera made it seven months without the dreaded "p" word, but as the saying goes, all good things must come to an end.  I had actually hoped to share a much more positive post earlier in the week, but as typically happens when pneumonia hits, it wears down the whole family.  Tom and I spent most nights this week prepping for the types of nights we've had before when she's had pneumonia.  We keep the thermometer near, a bowl for throwing up, her humidifier is going, and then we try and go to bed early in case we're up half the night or end up having to take her to the hospital.

I have to say, this one took us completely by surprise.  She just coughed for the first time this past Sunday morning.  There was no cold or sinus infection preceding it this time.  She coughed a few times on Sunday and ran a fever for most of the day.  Monday she threw up twice, also ran a fever, didn't have a huge appetite, but was otherwise fine.  Tuesday she stayed with my in laws since she still had a fever on Monday, but was fine for most of Tuesday.  Tuesday night she started running a fever again so she stayed with them on Wednesday.  That's when it went downhill.  She threw up twice at home Wednesday morning, three more times at my in laws, and was completely lethargic all day.  She ate basically nothing all day.  So Wednesday afternoon I took her in to the doctor where I got the very unexpected diagnosis of bilateral pneumonia.

We ended up taking her in that evening for the chest x-ray to get that out of the way, filled her prescription, and headed home.  Thursday morning I stayed home with her and Tom came home at noon so I could go back to work for parent-teacher conferences.  Then when I got home at 9:15 pm, he got on a call until 11:30 and then came to bed.  This morning I got up and left before they were even awake and Tom stayed with her and worked from home.  Then I came home, we got dinner, and now he's leaving for hockey. I'm exhausted just thinking about it.  But on the plus side, she's slept better at night than she usually does when she's this sick.   Tom had said she was finally eating some normal food again today and despite the fact that she put up a huge fight to take a nap, was actually fairly normal.  Then of course we get to 6:30 pm tonight and her fever goes back up to 100.5 and she throws up again.

Plus sides? I don't have to take her swimming in the really cold pool tomorrow morning, she's been super snuggly all week, and she's not in the hospital.

I'm completely exhausted from being at work until 8:30 last night and from all the events this week, but tonight is also one of the few nights I have to just do what I want.  I'm not going to grade anything, I'm not paying bills.  I just want to write my post, turn on some reruns, and browse Pinterest.  Is that too much to ask? It might be...

Before she got sick :)

No comments:

Post a Comment