Friday, January 3, 2014

What I'm thankful for...in January.

A new year.  It's a great time for resolutions, reflection, and if you live in Chicago right now, hypothermia (I actually love winter so this particularly harsh weather doesn't really bother me as much as other people).  A lot of people used the month of November to share what they were thankful for, but I'm going to do it now because the ending of one year and the beginning of another seems appropriate too.

These are in no order whatsoever:

 A beautiful, mostly healthy, funny, energetic, smart daughter that is the light of my life.

The most amazing, loving, sweet, and talented husband I could ever have imagined.

A family that loves me, cares for me, rejoices with me, cries with me, celebrates with me, and is always there for me.

A house that that we can enjoy the holidays in.

Friends that love me for who I am, support me, and are always there with a shoulder to cry on or a drink to celebrate.

A career that challenges me, can be rewarding, allows me to do what I love, and also provides for my family.

Happy memories of family members that are no longer with us.

Cameras that have allowed me to capture special times with my family and friends.

Yoga pants and Minnetonka slippers.

Days off.

Coffee.

Social media that allows me to stay in contact with people I might not otherwise be able to.

FaceTime so that Tera can have close relationships with family members who don't live nearby (and so that I can see my sweet nieces when I want).

Hockey.

All five of my trips to New Orleans.

Old and new holiday traditions.

Chocolate, wine, and vodka (not always in that order).

Medical advancements that have made life possible and more enjoyable for my friends, family, and I.

First world problems (too much food in our refrigerator, a house to clean, nice cars that need gas, too much laundry to do, too many toys in our house, jobs that we have to go to).

I'm even thankful for the bad times because when the we finally reach the light at the end of the tunnel, I usually have gained some perspective (and a few more gray hairs that I keep cleverly disguised).  Some of these bad times are worse than others, and the perspective changes.  It might be that things I had previously worried about aren't as important as I once thought, or that Tera's illness of the week could be much worse.
But when I look back on the past twelve months, I'm not overly sad or disheartened.  On the other hand I'm not naive enough (or without enough experience) to think a new year will bring an end to our worries.  This new year could be great or it could really suck, but my personal approach to it (although Tom will take the credit for it) is that I can't do anything about the unknowns at this point anyway.  I've survived everything up to this point, albeit with a few scars to prove it, and I will, we will as a family, continue to survive.  I hope my list next year has all these things on it and more.



No comments:

Post a Comment